Bryan Cave’s Outdoor Industry team has a deep bench of lawyers who also are outdoors enthusiasts with years of experience helping outdoor companies achieve their goals. We offer legal advice and business acumen to help our clients succeed in the outdoor industry’s increasingly dynamic and innovative environment. With more than 900 lawyers across 25 offices worldwide, Bryan Cave possesses unique breadth and depth in representing industry leaders while offering efficient and flexible billing structures.
We understand the diverse needs of companies at all stages of growth, and have experts available to help address the broad array of legal issues that might impact your outdoor industry businesses. Our clients include equipment manufacturers, apparel companies, consumer products and services companies, retailers, industry associations, consumer research companies, ski areas, and venue and event management companies. We also have a complementary Sports and Entertainment practice team that works with Olympic (including over 15 national governing bodies), professional, collegiate and amateur sports teams and athletes, sponsors, and venues, are advisors to anti-doping agencies around the world. Additionally, our Chambers USA ranked Sports and Entertainment team has extensive experience in event venue development and is a leader in naming rights and sponsorship transactions. Furthermore, we have lawyers with extensive retail experience, nationally and internationally, to help you with all your diverse needs.
We are climbers, mountaineers, river runners, skiers and boarders, sailors, cyclists, hikers, and adventurers, eager to help facilitate the amazing growth and innovation the outdoor industry has been experiencing in recent years. With the relocation of Outdoor Retailer to Denver, Colorado, our Colorado lawyers in particular are eager to put their expertise to work to help companies in the Rocky Mountain region and elsewhere that are looking to play a part in this hugely important industry and to expand the economic impact and voice of the industry.
Our experience includes:
- Starting-Up And Growing Your Business. We help businesses get off the ground, assisting in figuring out how best to structure and finance companies. Our lawyers have extensive experience working with start-ups and venture capital firms, helping clients launch and successfully grow. We also assist with executive compensation and benefits and all employment-related matters.
- Commercial Agreements. We work with our clients to prepare and negotiate business-fueling agreements and to help manage their commercial needs and risks.
- Commercial Litigation. Our lawyers have extensive experience in efficiently and effectively resolving our clients’ business disputes in state and federal jurisdictions across the country and globally. We have experience with all manner of complex commercial disputes, including contract, licensing, product liability, data privacy, and class action litigation.
- Transactional matters are one of our “core practices.” We handle mergers and other acquisitions and dispositions of businesses and related assets, joint ventures and other methods of combining business operations, recapitalizations, spin-offs, split-offs, and other methods of restructuring business ownership.
- We understand the variety of issues facing retailers, and have the experience in the broad range of issues clients face, including the regulatory issues companies face as they seek to expand.
- As brands grow, so do opportunities – and risks. Our franchise lawyers guide companies along the path from start-up to international household name.
- Idea Protection, Intellectual Property and Trade Secrets. We help identify and protect key intellectual property through patents, trademarks, licensing and other contractual and regulatory protections. Our experience covers trademark and copyright registration and prosecution, patent licensing and protection against infringement, actions related to counterfeit and gray market goods, resale price maintenance structures, and enforcing employment agreements related to inventions and other proprietary information. We are also fully versed in the issue surrounding licensing of the software that keeps your business competitive and running smoothly.
- Product Liability, Personal Injury Claims And Premises Liability. When manufacturers of outdoor industry goods and equipment are the subject of personal injury or product liability claims, or when an injury occurs on company property, our skilled group of experienced trial lawyers are prepared to defend clients’ interests.
- Labor and Employment Litigation And Counseling. Our lawyers have experience with all types of employment litigation matters and counseling in state and federal courts, administrative agencies, arbitral bodies, and international forums. We also have extensive experience in class action and collective action litigation.
- Federal, state, and local regulatory matters. Our lawyers guide clients through the maze of various state regulations and enforcement actions specific to the outdoor industry.
- Provide general corporate and intellectual property advice to manufacturer of high performance outdoor gear, as well as advice related to real estate and leasing matters, software licensing agreements, and data privacy issues.
- Represented major outdoor industry group in governance and contract matters.
- Defended equipment manufacturer in action involving negligence and product liability claims.
- Represented large sporting goods manufacturer in connection with numerous contract negotiations and disputes, team and athlete sponsorship agreements and anti-doping clauses.
- Represented large sporting goods manufacturer in the prosecution of claims protecting intellectual property rights such as trademark, counterfeiting, right of publicity, and breach of employment agreement claims.
- Created pricing and distribution programs for outdoor products and athletic equipment manufacturers.
- Conducted compliance training and provided pricing advice to leading athletic footwear company.
- Represented athletes and sponsors in connection with endorsement, sponsorship, and other related agreements and disputes.
- Defended sporting goods manufacturer against competitor’s claims of patent infringement.
- Serve as outside counsel to Outward Bound USA on a variety of governance and intellectual property matters.