Bryan Cave offers advice and consulting in the complex matters of regulatory affairs, public policy and legislation. The lawyers and non-lawyer consulting professionals on our team represent clients before a variety of federal regulatory agencies, the United States Congress, state legislatures, governors, attorneys general and county and municipal governments. Our clients include corporations, trade associations, governmental entities and non-profit organizations.
We combine substantive knowledge of the law with access to a wide variety of established legislative, state and congressional relationships. Many are former senior government officials, including assistant U.S. attorneys, chief counsels of congressional committees, local government practitioners and general counsels, assistant secretaries and bureau chiefs of cabinet departments and state and federal agencies. Our team leverages experience and access for client success.
Bryan Cave specializes in providing advice and counsel to companies, institutions and individuals facing regulatory, legislative or other Washington policy challenges. Our firm’s principals have experience at all levels of the federal government and relationships with political, elected and organizational leaders in the nation’s capital and throughout the country, and can effectively advise clients on how to navigate an often confusing political or legislative terrain. We help clients achieve the coveted goal of maintaining a strong presence in Washington, D.C.
We understand how to wage and win a political battle. Our principals are seasoned veterans, adept at overcoming obstacles. We advise on complex issue campaigns by developing comprehensive strategies and the steps needed to implement them. Our principals have true Washington insight to guide clients through the beltway’s inner circles and inner workings. We identify and help develop essential relationships to build the political support and coalitions that will advance client objectives.
We represent clients in a broad range of policy areas and legislative fields. In addition to providing general legislative representation, lawyers in the group have particular experience in the following fields:
- Consumer protection
- Energy and natural resources
- Environmental policy
- Export control and sanctions
- Financial Services
- Health care
- Homeland Security
- Intellectual property
- International trade
- National security and defense
- Tax and finance
- Transportation and infrastructure
Our client work has been diverse, including representation of:
- Transportation interests, including railroads, airports, seaports, overnight shipping services and pipeline companies.
- Energy companies, including integrated electric utilities.
- Public entities, including state and local governments and publicity chartered corporations and authorities.
- Communications companies and associations, including cable television systems, radio and television stations, cellular telephone providers, microwave transmission companies, satellite users and radio common carriers in matters of licensing, purchase and sale transactions, public and private financings, litigation and general counseling.
- Commercial banks, savings associations, savings banks and domestic and foreign depository institution holding companies in matters related to their regulation and operation.
- Clients being investigated by the Federal Trade Commission, Federal Communications Commission and state attorneys general for alleged violations of state and federal Do-Not-Call rules and those needing compliance advice on privacy and advertising issues, including compliance with the Telemarketing Sales Rule, Telephone Consumer Protection Act, Gramm-Leach-Bliley, Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, Fair Credit Reporting Act, Truth in Lending Act, California privacy laws and CAN-SPAM.
- Manufacturers, importers, distributors and retailers of consumer products seeking counsel on product safety and reporting obligations under the Consumer Product Safety Act and related statutes, including the Flammable Fabrics Act and the Federal Hazardous Substances Act.
- Manufacturers and exporters of high-technology, satellite and defense-related products seeking compliance counseling and government authorizations under the Export Administration Regulations, the International Traffic in Arms Regulations and various sanctions regulations.
- Those navigating a wide range of customs regulations and international trade issues, including regulations related to motor vehicles, steel, textile and apparel products, footwear, retailing, electronic products and other consumer goods.
- Manufacturers facing environmental litigation or regulatory and legislative matters connected with air, water, hazardous waste, toxic substance, underground injection and occupational safety.
- Corporations that seek advice on issues of state and federal government relations when proposed legislation could impact their business, including energy legislation, real estate matters, nursing homes legislation and health care and physician issues.
- Clients being investigated by state attorneys general multistate task forces for issues ranging from antitrust to consumer protection violations.
- Clients seeking advice on state health plans, procurements and other issues.