Established companies and startups which create and supply nutritional supplements and ingredients require experienced counsel to handle their transactions and commercial agreements. Bryan Cave’s Nutritional Products Team increasingly has become the choice of companies looking to expand their markets, leverage resources and efficiently navigate legal and regulatory issues crucial to their success.
The firm’s Nutritional Products Team is a coordinated, multi-disciplinary group of Bryan Cave professionals with experience in transactional, regulatory, intellectual property, corporate finance, and other related legal specialties. The team provides value added counsel to clients in the strategy, negotiation and documentation of transactions, licenses and commercial agreements. We regularly advise public and privately-held established companies, venture-backed companies and entrepreneurs in the nutritional products sector, including nutritional supplement and ingredient manufacturers, natural products consumer goods companies and medical foods developers. This sector demands not only experienced business counsel, but also counsel who understands regulatory issues (including manufacturing and labeling requirements) and intellectual property protection.
Team members have built lasting relationships with a number of venture capital investors that are focused in the nutrition sector and have represented a number of such investors’ portfolio companies. As a result, we understand these investors’ interests, investment strategies and fund cycles.
Clients of Bryan Cave’s Nutritional Products Team benefit from our:
- Depth of experience. With our focus in the nutrition sector, team members are proficient in readily recognizing not just the business issues which our clients face, but also the regulatory and intellectual property framework within which they must operate.
- Foresight. We regularly advise clients on, and closely monitor, the evolving food regulatory environment. Our unique connections within government, coupled with our long standing industry focus, allow us to provide clients with “what’s coming next” from a policy standpoint and insight into regulatory authorities’ perspectives. These resources allow us to effectively counsel clients with regulatory issues, such as label claims, warning letters and competitive challenges. More importantly, this forward looking perspective allows us to assist clients in setting and executing their business strategies.
- Global vision. The nutrition sector is a clear example of the global economy, with consumer products and ingredients developed, sourced and sold around the world. Compliance with the complicated matrix of local laws is essential to do business, given that most developed countries heavily regulate the food and ingredient sectors. Our team members are situated in offices throughout the United States, Asia and Europe and can assist with local and international trade and regulatory issues, as well as agreements which may be negotiated under foreign laws or in a foreign language.
- In-house efficiency. A number of our team members function as general counsel for companies in the food and nutrition sector. This “shoulder to shoulder” work with management flattens the learning curve, and our business model is founded upon availability and flexibility. We understand that issues must be identified and dealt with at the speed of business.
Nothing speaks more clearly of our accomplishments than the success of our clients and the projects with which we have the privilege to be involved, including:
- Serve as outside general counsel to one of the leading privately-held manufacturers of high-quality nutritional supplements and nutraceutical formulations. Representative matters have included:
- Various private placements of debt and equity.
- Working capital lines of credit.
- Executive compensation packages.
- Employment advice including hiring, firing, and benefits issues.
- Intellectual property advice in connection with substantial international portfolio.
- Licensing and private label relationships.
- Distributor and supplier negotiations and supplier agreements
- Represent one of the leading international manufacturers and distributors of nutritional supplements with respect to corporate governance matters, commercial litigation, regulatory compliance, and mergers and acquisitions.
- Represent a leading developer of animal health and nutrition programs for the poultry, pork, beef, dairy, aquaculture, and companion animal industries. The company is entering into the human nutrition products markets and we have worked with them on a variety of matters including; corporate, commercial, real estate, litigation, licensing, and M&A .
- Prepare and prosecute patent applications in the field of animal health and nutrition including, food rations, digestibility assays, probiotics, and antibiotics.
Bryan Cave continues to seek innovative solutions to our nutrition clients’ business issues. We provide a breadth of experience which can scan quickly for solutions, as well as the foresight of government relations and industry knowledge which helps predict the future for clients in the nutrition sector. The result is an approach that provides responsive, deep and sound legal counsel to our clients.
If you would like more information about Bryan Cave’s Nutritional Products Team, please call any of the team members or your relationship lawyer at Bryan Cave.