Members of our association health plan team have thirty years of experience representing association health plans. We help association health plans build the type of large-employer solutions which are typically not available to small and medium size firms. Our practice includes:
- The formation of new association health plans.
- Negotiation of agreements with insurance carriers and other vendors.
- The formation of captive insurance companies when appropriate to advance the interests of the association health plan.
- Health insurance design.
- Compliance with the myriad federal and state statutes and regulations governing health insurance and association health plans.
- The establishment of “best practice” governance structures for association health plans and related entities.
- Compliance with the ERISA rules applicable to association health plans, particularly the prohibited transaction rules.
A successful association health plan can provide the following “large employer” benefits to member firms:
- Group purchasing power in the marketplace, allowing the association health plan to negotiate low administrative fees as well as obtain the best available provider discounts.
- Comprehensive wellness programs which afford association health plan participants with the resources to become the healthiest citizens in the nation.
- Around-the-clock telemedicine services.
- Advocacy services which assist association health plan participants in navigating our country’s complex health delivery system so they can obtain the highest quality care at the best price.
- Cutting-edge online enrollment platforms of the type offered to employees by the largest and most sophisticated employers.
A sampling of our representative experience includes:
- Representation of a board of trustees in connection with the operation of an association health plan covering 1,750 employers who are members of the same trade association.
- Formation of an association captive insurance company that offers health insurance through a fronted reinsurance arrangement to members of an association made up of over 5,000 member firms throughout the U.S., including the negotiation of reinsurance agreements with several health insurers.
- Representation of two different associations in the formation, from scratch, of start-up association health plans.
- Representation of an association health plan in connection with the acquisition of another association plan.