Acting as an arbitrator
Domenico has acted as chairman, sole arbitrator and co-arbitrator in numerous arbitration proceedings, both ad hoc and under the rules of several international institutions with seat in different countries including Italy, Switzerland and England.
Foreign investment arbitration
He has advised on the protection of foreign investments under bilateral investment treaties and multilateral treaties such as the Energy Charter Treaty. He has also acted in and advised on several major investment arbitrations arising out of Bilateral Investment Treaties and investment contracts. His experience in this area includes:
- Advising on a dispute between a South American State and a European investor in relation to a concession for the maintenance of national gas networks
- Advising on and acting in a dispute between a South American State and a European investor in relation to a concession for the operation of the national water system
- Advising on and acting in a dispute between a South American State and a North American investor in relation to a dispute arising out of a concession for the operation of the national gas network
- Advising on and acting in a dispute between a South American State and European investors in a dispute related to defaulted financial instruments
- Advising a European Party on a dispute relating to the expropriation of a farming business in South America
International commercial arbitration
Domenico has acted in international disputes relating to several industries and practices under the aegis of the ICC, SCC, HKIAC, BAC, Swiss Rules, Madrid Arbitration Chamber, VINCA, VCCA, BAC, Milan Chamber of Arbitration as well as in ad hoc proceedings under the UNCITRAL Arbitration Rules. In this area, his experience includes.
- Representing a telecommunication multinational in a post-M&A dispute in Brazil (ICC)
- Representing a European party in a dispute relating to an agreement for the supply of green power (ICC).
- Representing a South American party in an arbitration relating to a distributorship agreement with an Italian party (Madrid Chamber)
- Representing a European company in UNCITRAL ad hoc proceedings against an international organization.
- Represented a Portuguese party in an arbitration brought by an English distributor (ICC)
Arbitration before the Chamber of Commerce of Lugano (Swiss Arbitration Rules) assisting a leading Asian company in connection to a dispute arising out of a Share Purchase Agreement
- Arbitration before the Hong Kong International Arbitration Center assisting a leading Asian company involved in the construction of excavating machines
- Assisting an Asian company in several court proceedings for the stay of actions brought in breach of arbitration agreements
- Assisting an Italian electronics company in mediation proceedings before the Beijing Arbitration Commission in a dispute with an Asian supplier.
- Arbitration before the Milan Chamber of Arbitration assisting a leading Asian company involved in the construction of turbines
- Assisting a leading Asian company in post M&A proceedings against an Irish company
International construction arbitration
- Proceedings (ICC) arising out of a contract for the construction of a new magnesium oxide plant in the Dead Sea
- ICC proceedings arising out of a dispute in relation to remediation works on land reclaimed from the Mediterranean Sea
- Ad Hoc proceedings between a JV and an Asian State arising out of a dispute in relation to the construction of a road in Asia
- Institutional proceedings (Stockholm) between a European JV and a European State arising out of a contract for the construction of stealth battleships
European Merger and Regulatory Arbitration
- ICC arbitration relating to a dispute between a national operator of electricity grids and a foreign shipper relating interconnection fees
- ICC arbitration between two international broadcasting companies arising out of the alleged breach of undertakings to the European Commission in order to obtain clearance of EU merger proceedings
International sport arbitrations
- Acted in several “headline” sports disputes before the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS). Also acted in sport disputes before the ad hoc division of CAS at the 2004 Athens Olympic Games and the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games.
- Acted in sport-related commercial arbitrations, including a dispute arising out of a sponsorship agreement related to an international tennis tournament and a dispute arising out of a supply agreement in connection with a European hockey championship.