Robert Wieder’s practice focuses on corporate finance, mergers and acquisitions and general corporate matters with particular emphasis on fund raising in public markets, including the Alternative Investment Market (AIM), domestic and international M&A, investment and joint venture agreements, venture capital, private equity and advising companies, shareholders and investors on complex corporate issues. He is also co-leader of the firm’s Mining and Mineral Resources group.
He regularly works with banks, mining and steel companies, technology and communication companies and trading houses. His work often concerns German-speaking countries.
Mr. Wieder has been a director of an Austrian Bank, a London Lloyds Broker and other companies.
He also holds the MCIArb. qualification of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators and the CF-Corporate Finance Qualification of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales. In addition, he has been appointed as an arbitrator in ICC arbitrations.
Below is a sample of deals in which Mr. Wieder has advised:
- Advised International Mineral Resources on the acquisition of shares in Kermas South Africa (Pty) Limited (Kermas SA). Kermas SA is the holding company of Samancor Chrome Limited, one of South Africa’s largest chrome mining and smelting operations
- Advised Eurasian Natural Resources Corporation PLC (ENRC) on its $300 million acquisition of a 50% stake in Bahia Mineracao Limitada. ENRC is the world’s sixth-largest iron ore exporter. This deal represents the Kazakhstan mining group’s first venture outside the CIS
- Advised defence group TRL Electronics plc on the restructuring and subsequent IPO on AIM, in addition to advising the board on the acquisition by US defence contractor L-3 Communications
- Advised Autogrill S.p.A (a company listed on the Borsa Italia) on the successful £193 million takeover of LSE listed Alpha Airports Group
- Advised Anheuser-Busch on de-listing from the London Stock Exchange and listing on Euronext Paris
- Advised the principal shareholder of Rusal on the acquisition of 25% + 1 stake in Russian metals producer Norilsk Nickel
- Advised on the acquisition of utility companies in the Czech Republic
- Advised on acquisitions in the healthcare and retail sectors
- Advised in relation to acquisitions of mobile telecom networks and supporting technology companies
Bar and Court Admissions
England and Wales, 1981
Victoria University of Manchester, LL.B., with honours, 1979
Speeches and Seminars
Mr. Wieder frequently speaks on corporate law and has contributed to seminars held for the Institute of Directors (City branch); the Corporate Finance Faculty of the Chartered Institute of Accountants of England and Wales; and the Lawyers in Commerce and Industry Group.
International Bar Association
The Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
Corporate Finance Faculty of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales