Real estate deals have grown increasingly complex in recent years, involving a wide range of investors and capital structures with multiple layers of equity and debt. These transactions require legal sophistication and broad industry knowledge to ensure success in the modern global economy.
Bryan Cave’s Real Estate Private Equity and Joint Venture Team is a coordinated, multi-disciplinary group with vast capacities in real estate, corporate, tax, ERISA and other related legal specialties. We represent private equity funds, developers and other market players in structuring and negotiating joint ventures, mezzanine loans, credit facilities, preferred equity, company acquisitions and other transactions related to real estate projects around the world. Drawing upon the firm’s traditionally strong real estate practice, we have experience with virtually every asset class, including hotels, resorts, gaming facilities, office buildings, retail centers, industrial facilities and residential and mixed-use projects.
Some of our clients include:
- Apollo Real Estate Advisors
- Dune Real Estate Partners
- Edge Principal Advisors
- Enterprise Asset Management
- Global Holdings
- The LIBRA Group
- NorthStar Realty Finance Corp.
- Och-Ziff Real Estate
- The Rockefeller Group
- Stonewater Partners
- Joint venture for the acquisition and conversion to luxury condominiums of the former Mayflower Hotel in Manhattan, now known as 15 Central Park West.
- Joint venture among Hong Kong based investors for the development and subsequent $1.76 billion sale of the Riverside South mixed-use project in Manhattan (also known as Trump Place).
- Acquisition of 51 Red Roof Inns located in 21 states, which involved a joint venture with the current borrower/operator to purchase the defaulted mortgage loan on the portfolio and the simultaneous acquisition of title to each of the hotels through a deed-in-lieu of foreclosure process established under an existing settlement agreement.
- Joint venture for the development of a major hotel and gaming complex in Atlantic City, New Jersey, including the subsequent restructuring of the equity, senior loan and mezzanine loans.
- Joint venture for the development of a 400-room hotel in Oklahoma, near the Texas border, and expansion of an adjacent gaming facility operated by a federal Indian tribe, which together is one of the largest casino complexes in the United States.
- Programmatic joint venture with a worldwide hotel franchisor for the development of certain brand hotels in the United States, Canada and Mexico.
- The approximately $550 million sale by an institutional lender to a private equity firm of its resort portfolio consisting of mostly timeshare loans to project sponsors.
- The acquisition and redevelopment on behalf of a Canadian real estate investment fund of a hotel in Ixtapa, Mexico, involving condominium, hotel and timeshare elements.
- Joint venture for the development of a five-star hotel and resort in Buenos Aires, Argentina.
- Joint venture for the development of various five-star hotels and resorts in Singapore and Thailand.
- Programmatic joint venture for the acquisition of equity and debt interests in residential property in the Southeast.
- A mezzanine construction loan provided by a private equity fund for the development of the Solaris Residences, a luxury condominium and retail complex in Vail, Colorado.
- Joint venture with a public REIT for the $360 million acquisition of a 2.7 million square foot portfolio of 11 retail centers in the Southeast.
- Joint venture on behalf of a major European private equity firm for the acquisition of office properties in Germany.
If you would like more information about Bryan Cave’s Real Estate Private Equity and Joint Venture Team, please call any of our team leaders, Ronald Emanuel
at 212-541-2334 or Gary Wolff