Employment class actions are becoming a greater challenge for employers. The astronomical potential liability and the public relations class claims issues involved require counsel with experience in successfully defending these claims. Our clients look to us to handle these matters because they find Bryan Cave gives them substantial advantages.
Our employment class action lawyers have the knowledge and capabilities necessary to defend employment class actions anywhere in the country. At any given time, we are defending dozens of class action matters around the U.S. Our Employment Class Action Practice combines our experience defending class actions in federal and state courts throughout the country with the specialized insight of lawyers in our offices from coast to coast who regularly counsel clients in all areas of traditional labor and employment law. This combination of experience and knowledge offers benefits for our clients − both in terms of result and cost efficiency − that few firms are capable of providing.
Our reputation for excellent results includes employment class actions involving allegations of: race discrimination; sex discrimination, including “glass ceiling” and Equal Pay Act claims; age discrimination; sexual harassment; wage claims; and employee benefits. Select examples include:
- Obtaining a summary judgment against the EEOC in an age discrimination case brought on behalf of 450 former employees.
- Negotiating a favorable settlement for a national retailer in a 3,000-member class race discrimination case for hiring, pay and promotion.
- Settling a nationwide class action claiming retiree health care benefits for 50,000 former employees for an international aircraft manufacturer.
- Defeating class certification sought to cover 1,000 employees, then obtaining summary judgment in a pay discrimination case for the largest U.S. telephone company.
- Obtaining dismissal of class action allegations in a race discrimination case against a manufacturer alleging hiring, promotion and hostile work environment violations.
- Negotiating strategic pre-litigation settlement to avoid a nationwide race discrimination class action against retailer.
- Obtaining summary judgment on “glass ceiling” pattern and practice claims, followed by a favorable settlement on remaining individual claims.
- Winning at trial (and affirmed on appeal) in a WARN Act case as to whether sudden mass layoffs were “reasonably foreseeable.”
- Obtaining summary judgment in two related WARN Act cases challenging the employer’s determination regarding “single sites of employment.”
The plaintiffs’ bar is extremely familiar with our capabilities, reputation, and results such as those noted above. Having counsel regarded as “formidable” by plaintiffs’ lawyers works to our client’s advantage.
We fully understand class actions can be costly and a risk to your business interests. Our approach is to build a strong defense strategy from the start. The lawyers at Bryan Cave are well-versed in issues critical to the outcome of these cases. We take calculated steps toward the important goal of defeating class certification and use motion practice to restrict inappropriate discovery of sensitive corporate information. We are conscious of and experienced at handling the public relations, marketing and regulatory issues that often arise in high-exposure employment class action litigation.