Ms. Buenaventura has experience in various commercial litigation and product liability matters both locally and nationally before state and federal trial and appellate courts. She has represented a diverse array of clients, including mortgage lenders, banks, and consumer product manufacturers.
Ms. Buenaventura's practice includes advising and defending clients with respect to claims involving federal lending laws and regulations, including TILA, RESPA, and HOEPA, as well as state consumer protection and unfair competition claims.
Ms. Buenaventura has also defended clients against product liability claims, negligence claims, and wrongful death claims. She has assisted in the defense of a general aviation engine manufacturer in product liability claims and in the defense of an air traffic control service against wrongful death litigation.
During law school at Northwestern University, Ms. Buenaventura was an editorial board member of Northwestern Journal of Technology and Intellectual Property. She is fluent in French and Spanish and holds an undergraduate degree in economics.
Bar and Court Admissions
U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
Northwestern University, J.D., cum laude, 2006
Oglethorpe University, B.A., summa cum laude, 2002
- Comment: “Teaching a Man to Fish: Why National Legislation Anchored In Notice And Consent Provisions Is The Most Effective Solution To The Spyware Problem,” 13 Rich. J.L. & Tech. 1, 2006
- Essay: “When Charity Doesn’t Start at Home: The Torture Victims Relief Act and Female Inmates in the U.S.,” 91 Women Lawyers Journal. 3, 2006
Civic Involvement and Honors
- The National Immigrant Justice Center – Volunteer, 2005-present
- L’Alliance Française, Member, 2005-present
Richmond Journal of Law and Technology’s Third Annual Student Writing Competition – First Place Winner
- Winner of the National Association of Women Lawyers’ First Annual Selma Moidel Smith Law Student Writing Competition